Monday, August 18, 2008

q.e.p.d. eloy chavez trujillo


q.e.p.d.
Originally uploaded by MsMonis
i have few memories of my tio eloy. two of the most prominent are of him driving and me telling him where to go. it's weird the things you remember as a kid. the most lucid was in san francisco after 4th of july fireworks at crissy field. we were lost in the avenues and i, ever the smart ass, helpfully kept telling him we lived on 26th STREET, not avenue. the other, more blurry was in mexico city, trying to keep up with my dad, but falling behind due to traffic. it was night, and i remember a well lit tunnel and his dark shadow in the driver's seat.

i was at my grandparents house in mexico for vacation the summer he got sick. one night, i woke up in the middle of the night crying. i didn't know why and couldn't explain it to my grandparents. according to my grandma, i said i was sad and felt like crying. the next day, my mom called with the news that my uncle had passed.

i may not have many memories of him; i don't remember his voice or how he walked. i don't remember the last time i saw him. i do, though, still remember the sense of loss and the sadness i felt then and whenever i wonder where life would have taken him had he been given more time.

No comments: