Thursday, November 04, 2004

everyday around the world, we're coming to america...

the election is over. i've had my day of bitching and moaning. i'm done talking about it. it's now time to deal. i can hate the rest of the country for electing that moron all i want. it's a known fact that the farther away from the coasts you get the more retarded and backward the people. i live in the bay area, and don't ever plan on moving to oklahoma (or the central valley for that matter), so those rednecks can live in their trailers and have sex with their cousins all they want.

it doesn't change the fact that although i hate this country for what they did on november 3, 2004, there's no where else i would ever want to live. this is my home. and, for what it's worth, i owe this country my existence.

my parents came to the US in the 60's. my dad came to california via guanajuato via mexico city via texas. he toiled in the fields of the central valley before moving on up to the big city, san francisco, to actually make money in construction. he soon found work and made friends with union folk who got him. i'm proud to say that my father has laid brick (not in that way you perves) in many a location throughout the city. those bricks you walk on down market street. some of those are my dad. my mom came with her family from jalisco and took a bus from san ysidro all the way up to san francisco. she arrived in the wee hours of the morning, only to wake up a couple hours later for her first day of school. not knowing the city or the language.

my parents had it tough. they did what they could to survive. my mom only made it till 10th grade before she got married and had my older brother, henry. my dad, who didn't make it past the 3rd grade before he had to go out and work for his family, had to get past the disadvantage of little education to keep up with his fellow union members.

they met in an ESL class at mission high in 1976. the rest is me...

i often think of what my life would have been like had my parents never come. i obviously wouldn't be alive. they met here. but taking into account where my parents came from, i know what my future would have been. a hard life with little opportunity. not really caring about foreign policy or what the people in another state thought. just trying to survive.

i'm american. it's undeniable. it's part of who i am. the man they happened to elect president does NOT define me. this story does...and it's only part of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing Monis. I will share this with your niece so that she will know what strength and perserverance she comes from. ~ Sandy